October 31, 2016
Holiday Tree and Bough Permits
Available on the Mt. Hood National Forest Tomorrow
Sandy, OR – The Mt. Hood National Forest will begin selling personal use holiday tree cutting permits at our ranger district offices’ visitor centers as well as at many other local vendors on Tuesday, November 1, 2016. Permits sell for $5.00 each (cash, check, or card) and there is a limit of five permits per household.
When purchasing your permit you will receive an informational sheet with great information on rules of cutting holiday trees from the national forest. Your permit allows cutting a holiday tree up to 12 feet tall. For additional information you may also visit the Mt. Hood Special Forest Products webpage.
Winter weather in the forest can change rapidly. Forest Service roads are not maintained for winter travel. Please carry traction devices and be advised of winter road closures and snow park permit requirements. The Forest Service recommends you start early in the day and be out of the forest before dark. Keep your family and your own safety in mind as you head out to look for a holiday tree. Dress warmly and carry a forest map, snacks, and water. Do not rely solely on your GPS as some information may not be accurate or up-to-date. Also make sure friends or family know where you are going and when you plan to return. Plus, don’t forget a tool to cut your tree and rope or cord to secure it to your vehicle.
The Mt. Hood National Forest currently offers Free Use Bough Permits (available at no charge) for up to 25 pounds of boughs, and Commercial Bough Permits for larger quantities. Permits for boughs are not available at local vendors. Bough permits are only available at Mt. Hood National Forest district offices. You must have a permit to harvest boughs.
As a part of the “Every Kid” program, all fourth-graders can receive a holiday tree permit for free this season! They must have their Every Kid pass or voucher with them in order to receive their free holiday tree permit, and they must be accompanied by their parent or guardian. These special holiday tree permits can only be obtained at our official ranger district offices. For more information on the “Every Kid” program, please visit www.everykidinapark.gov.
Holiday Tree Permit vendor locations:
(Call for December weekend/holiday hours and information)
- Barlow Ranger District, Dufur Ranger Station, 780 Court Street, Dufur, OR (15 miles south of The Dalles) 541-467-2291 Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Clackamas River Ranger District, 595 NW Industrial Way, Estacada, OR. 503-630-6861
Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed from 11:30 to 12:30 for lunch)
- Hood River Ranger District, 6780 HWY 35, Mt. Hood-Parkdale, OR. 541-352-6002
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 3 and Dec. 10, 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Zigzag Ranger District, 70220 E. HWY 26, Zigzag, OR. 503-622-3191
Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed from 12:00 to 1:00 for lunch)
- Tygh Valley General Store, TV Road, Tygh Valley, OR. 541-483-2324
Open Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Saturday & Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Kramers Market, Main Street, Dufur, OR. 541-467-2455
Open Monday through Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- The Feed Shack, 2315 E. 2nd, The Dalles, OR. 541-298-4937
Open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 a.m., Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Estacada Tackle Shop, 210 SE Hwy 224, Estacada, OR. 503-630-7424
Monday through Saturday, 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., Sunday 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Tum-A-Lum Lumber, 408 Hwy 35, Hood River, OR. 541-386-1001
Open Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.,
Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- ACE Heritage Hardware, 39181 Pioneer Boulevard, Sandy, OR. 503-668-8731
Open Monday through Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Sunday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Hoodland Thriftway, 68280 East Highway 26, Welches, OR. 503-622-3244
Open Daily: 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.